Friday, February 10, 2012

It's Fluffy Friday Lazy Cooks - CJ's Pot Roast

Welcome to Fluffy Friday and another fabulous recipe from CJ Ellisson.

Today’s installment will be referred to in the history annals as “C.J. Used to Hate Pot Roast”.

Perhaps it’s my Jewish background of overcooked meats served by my depression-area grandmother… or eating at friend’s houses and smiling through the dry, stringy meats, I don’t know. But, I can tell you the grayish colored over-cooked meats have never been my favorite. Don’t even get me started on the salt-tastic dish of cornbeef *shudder*.

All of this changed when I discovered the most magical thing stored in a glass jar: Bubbie Jeanne’s Brisket Magic. It truly is maigic and it’s gluten free—that’s what sold me on trying it. Don’t ask me exactly what cut of meat a brisket is, I have no freakin’ idea. I went to the store and bought a cut that said it was good for a pot roast.

Directions:
Brown pot roast on the stove on all sides (trim off extra fat)
Place in slow cocker with jar of sauce, add a cup of water
Cook on low for six hours or so, high for 4 1/2. (this is gauged by the weight of your roast, so read the package)

If you are home at the ¾ point of cooking, toss in some potatoes and carrots. If not, get some Bob Evans mashed potatoes from the supermarket and some fresh veggies on the side.

This stuff is like magic! You could put that sauce on any vegetable and my kids will eat it. Not the over-cooked, mushy veggies of our family’s past, but tender ones that still have some vitamins left in them.

This was such a hit I sent my husband back to the store weeks later to buy more. Since he is the crappiest searcher in the world, he couldn’t find it and I almost cried. I forgot to write the name down and I was in a panic.


Thankfully, when I went back immediately, the burly man stocking shelves understood what I was looking for and said it was an “in and out” product, meaning they would never carry it again. He led me to the remaining five jars, which I quickly bought every one (screw you, my lazy neighbors! You missed out! Bahahaha….).

But in honor of this segment today (and to make sure I can find it again), I did some research. Here is the website for Bubbie Jeannes, and here are the stores you can buy it at if you are lucky enough to live in the Mid-Atlantic region (if not try the website. I plan to order from them direct or Wholefoods because these stores are all too far away from me):

BRADLEY FOOD & BEVERAGE
6904 ARLINGTON ROADBETHESDA, MD 20814

BROAD BRANCH MARKET
5608 BROAD BRANCH ROAD NWWASHINGTON DC

BUTHER'S BLOCK
302 HARRY S. TRUMAN PARKWAYANNAPOLIS, MD 21401

CHEVY CHASE SUPERMARKET
8531 CONNECTICUT AVENUECHEVY CHASE, MD 20815301-656-5133

DAVID'S NATURAL MARKET
5430 LYNX LANECOLUMBIA, MD

EDDIE'S OF ROLAND PARK
5113 ROLAND AVENUEBALTIMORE, MD 21210
6213 NORTH CHARLES STREETBALTIMORE, MD 21212http://www.eddiesofrolandpark.com/



GOURMET AGAIN
3713 Old Court RoadPikesville, MD 21208-3902(410) 484-9393

GRAUL'S MARKET
12200 Tullamore RoadLutherville, MD 21093

GRAUL'S MARKET
7713 Bellona Avenue Towson, MD 21204

GRAUL'S MARKET
1388 Cape St. Claire RoadAnnapolis, MD 21409

GROSVENOR MARKET
10401 Grosvenor Pl # 2Rockville, MD 20852-4646(301) 493-6217
ROOTS MARKET
5805 Clarksville Square Drive Clarksville, MD 21029
WHOLE FOODS MARKETS  http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/

I sincerely hope you enjoy it! Please comment if you’ve tried this product or if you have based on this post and what you thought of it.

Toodles!

No comments: